How To Make A Website
My name is George Tee and I am an e-entrepreneur selling products on dozens of websites revolved around many hobbies and interests. I’ve been doing internet marketing for 4-5 years now (since 2006) and it has been a great learning journey as I grew it to a business that makes me over $10,000 every month.
By the end of this article, I hope I would have give you a very good picture about how to make a website as well as how you can build a online business that has the potential to make $10,000 every month too. I also hope that this website would help you to avoid getting cheated when you are purchasing a website.
This is just one of my online accounts which generated over $7,500 in January 2011.
When most people approached me for help, they usually need a website for the following reasons:
- They want to build a profitable business through a website. Click here to discover what a profitable website needs
- They want to create a personal or family website for their friends and relatives (marriage, blog, photograph website).
- They have existing business(es) and they want to establish their online presence to capture a larger market. Read more about how to make a website for your business. In this case, I’m creating web marketing campaigns to capture more market share for their businesses.
Basically if you are planning to build more than a personal website, you should always get your own website. If you are only building a personal website, you can go to -> How to make a website for free and follow the instructions to create a website. Otherwise you can continue reading about how to make a more professional website.
In short, the basic model of a successful web marketing campaign that makes you money look something like this:
The above diagram is a simplified version of how one can build a profitable online business. In order to succeed online, you definitely need to master how to drive website traffic through the internet and you would also need to know how to convert the visitors to customers. Lastly, you need to track and test your marketing strategies and constantly improve on it.
This blog entry is mainly catered to people who wants to build a profitable or successful website online. But it would also benefit anyone who wants to make a website will walk away with the tips in this website. I’m also sharing some of my experience with you so you can avoid the mistakes I made when I first started on my website.
1) How to Make a Website of Your Own
Here is some basic introduction for making a website:
- The first thing you need is a name for your website – for example facebook.com, twitter.com. This is also known as the domain name for your website.
- Next, you would need a web host for your website. A web host is needed for you to put your website files and pages so that other people can see your website.
The best thing about internet is that it is growing so fast that things get easier and easier and making a website can be as easy as ABC.
“So what about designing my website?”
Designing your website can be quite tricky especially when one has no background or knowledge on html or photoshop.
Here’s the thing – You don’t need to have these skills to have a design up for your website. You could easily use a free template for your website and when you decide to get a nicer looking website, you can hire a designer to do it for you.
Or if you have some budget to play with, then go ahead hire a designer to design your website for you. But if you don’t it’s better to stick around and get the important things done first.
For this website, I used a template theme and got a graphic designer to design the header for me. Usually I have a photoshop header ready for me to just change the title to match the website and it’s all ready – so it’s very low cost that you can definitely do. But of course, it took me a long time to master some basic skills.
One of the most powerful tools you want to use is the wordpress. WordPress is a content management system that allows you to use it as a blog or a normal website as well. It depends how you want to use it.
Can I build a website for free? Why can’t I get a website for free?
Yes, you can definitely build have a website for free. Sites like blogger.com, wordpress.com or even geocities.com allow you to build a blog or website with them for free.
However, free things come with a catch…
Although they allow you to create a site for free, there are other hidden “costs” that you are not aware of.
- When you create a website with them, you do not have a website that you own. The name of your website would be under the control of the sites you signed up with. For example, if I were to sign up with them, I could only get george.wordpress.com or george.blogspot.com. You will never have a domain name on your own without paying. If one day they decide to close your website, there’s nothing you can do about it.
- The next thing is they would usually put up ads all over your website and make money when you spend effort and time driving the visitors to your website.
Back in those early days, when I just started knowing about blogging, I created a blog with a free service and thought it was a smart thing to do. But after a while of blogging in the website, the website had some server issues and it was crashed. And that goes my personal blog.
In essence, you lose control of your website to them. If you are thinking about making a profitable website, please forget about doing it without spending any money at all. In fact, the more money you are willing to spend, the faster you will learn and eventually make money from it (but please invest in the right education).
The thing is that you don’t have to pay much to get a website. But you should never try to save money on buying your own website (this is one painful lesson I learnt in the past). Think for a moment, if I tell you my website is http://GeorgeTee.wordpress.com, what kind of impression am I giving you (in case you don’t know, GeorgeTee.wordpress.com with a wordpress.com behind means that I’m having my free website with wordpress.com) ? Most people would think that I’m just a newbie who still can’t pay for my own website.
If you are convinced that building a website with your own domain is important, then you are some recommendations on the kind of things that you need for your website.
Step 1: Get a web host account – Hostgator
Secondly, get a web host account with hostgator. You can just choose the yearly plans and get a lower price.
When you are doing a website, and if anything goes wrong, you want to have a customer service that can help you solve the problem easily.
My hosting account with hostgator has been perfect. There were a couple of times I encountered malware attacks from some hackers. This can be quite a serious problem because whenever someone comes to your website, they will see a warning sign. The worst thing is the malware attacks could spread to your other websites. You customers or visitors would be pissed with you if they knew you had passed the malware or viruses to them.
However, the support from hostgator was great. I requested a cleanup from their technical support and they did it for me for free within a day. They are very helpful about it and advice me how I could protect myself from further attacks.
The other hosting services never provide such a great support for me before. Some other companies’ support simply walked away from you.
And that’s why I’m recommending you to get an account with hostgator for a reasonable price.
Step 2: Set up your MySQL database
In order for your domain and hosting to work, you need to connect them together. In short, you need to switch your dns of your domain in namecheap to hostgator.com. You would also need to accept your domain from your hostgator account. If this is a little confusing, feel free to drop me a comment below and I’ll put up a video tutorial for you.
Step 3: Building your website with WordPress
There are many ways to build your website. But one of the best ways I love is to use wordpress to build my website. In fact, this website is build with wordpress and it looks not bad, isn’t it? The easiest way to set up wordpress is using the fantistico program in hostgator.com and use a pre-existing template and put up a nice looking theme up there.
If you need help to install WordPress to your own domain, read this WordPress Installation step by step tutorial and it will help you to install your WordPress easily.
How to Make 5 Figures (More than USD $10,000) From Your Website
Do you think it’s possible to make more than $10,000 every month from your website? If someone were to tell me that this is possible 5 years ago, I would find it difficult to believe. But now, I believe that it is even possible to make $100,000 every month online without you becoming the next Facebook.
I’m myself is making around $8,000 – $10,000 every month, sometimes it’ll fluctuate on and off. But it is growing every year. If you ask me last year, it would only be around $1,500 – $2,000 a month. It would probably grow to $20,000 a month or more a year from now.
I’m not showing off to you but to share with you the possibilities of becoming a millionaire in just a few short years with selling from your website.
But what are the ways that you could make money online?
There are a few ways that most people have been making quite a lot of money online and here are some of them.
1) Recommending products and get a commission from it. This is known as affiliate marketing where you recommend a product to your readers and you can receive a commission from. I started out from doing this and grow from doing affiliate marketing. You can easily make around a few thousands dollars using this method and it is definitely a good way to make money from recommending products.
2) Creating a informational product and sell it online. That’s why I’m doing over in this website where the course I’m selling is teaching my readers how to create a product and sell it effectively online. Personally I feel that having your own informational product is very important as it puts you in a more credible position rather than just a plain blogger or an informational website. The difference between a website and having writing your own ebook or course is that your ebook is that you spend more time and effort making the ebook worth the price.
When you have your own informational product, you can offer commission for others to promote your product. This is very powerful because people would drive traffic to your website without you paying them in advance.
3) Selling physical products - This can be quite a lucrative business as well. As long as you can find low cost and quality products to offer to your customers, you can easily make a lot of profits from selling the physical products. The most problematic aspect of selling physical product is packaging and delivering products. Of course there are other options like drop shipping but drop shipping would require some work from you as well.
4) Offer advertisement on your website – You can offer advertisement on your website and charge a recurring fee to people who want to buy the ads from you. However, before you can do this, you need a lot of traffic. For example, 1000 page impressions would usually cost around $3-5. If you only have 1000 visitors every month, you can only make $5-$10 a month.
These are just 4 of the most common ways that one can make money from your website. There are more advance ways where people are making more than $100,000 every month online.